Sunday, January 8, 2012

Touristy London

I've been remembering to take my camera more places now, so I thought I'd share some of the places I've been out and about to see over the past little while.

Cute shirts in the market
The busy streets on a holiday Monday
Last week I ventured to the Camden Market, which, sadly was like a lot of the other markets here in London, a lot of the same stuff for sale.  It was the atmosphere that really got me though. Camden is known for its rocker grunge vibe, and was the starting point/hangout spot for the likes of Amy Whinehouse, Oasis and Blur.  Its got a really cool vibe and tons of market left fr me to explore.  I found out later that 'the stables' is the best part of the market, but I missed that part, guess theres always next week.  Also Camden has tons of restaurants, street food and patios, oh the patios, a summer sun spot to remember for sure.

The damn gap...
Yesterday I went for a walk along the Thames path, it is a walk that oddly enough, goes along the Thames river.  The whole path is about 180 miles long, so clearly I only did a portion.  A very small portion indeed, since I hopped on a river boat to cut out some of the path. 

Canary wharf in the background
The river boat was great, sped right along and it was a neat vantage point to see the city, also would be great in the summer, guess I'll have to stick around till then.

St Pauls Cathedral

The London Eye
I got off the boat at London Bridge and continued the walk onto the London Eye and the Houses of Parliment.  It still gets me every time seeing these iconic structures in everyday life.  Kinda like the north shore mountains I suppose.  You just get used to them after awhile, but these landmarks are still very new and exciting to me.  Speaking of the mountains, never thought I'd miss them, but I was wrong, I miss seeing them all snowy and pretty that's for sure!
Big Ben and the Houses of Parliment
I also bought a new book called 'I didn't know that about London' suggested to me by a co-worker, its amazing and full of great tidbits like this fun fact I'll leave you with. Who knew that wharf stood for anything, I thought it was just another word for pier or dock.  Nope stands for Warehouse At River Front*, neat hey and a great tidbit! Always good to learn something new!

*Thanks Claire for this one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment