Friday, September 28, 2012

Greece, Albania & Montenegro

Sitting here in Vancouver on a muggy day reminds me remotely of my travels from Greece to Croatia, traveling through Albania and Montenegro on my way.

I am reminded of the stifling heat in Albania and Montenegro if only slightly.

I started my trip in Corfu, Greece. Where I spent to fabulous days on the beach just relaxing and enjoying being done work! The goal was to get a good base tan so as not to get crispy while sailing. Job done!

I hopped aboard the ferry to Saranda, Albania to begin my Balkan road trip. After meeting the group and boarding the coach we were on our way in the sweltering Albanian heat and it was only just 1000. We travelled through Albania stopping at 2 beaches (the second stop demanded by the group despite the guide saying the beach would be packed. We didn't care it was simply to hot to not get in and cool off!). We stopped for traditional Albanian food in Berat a quaint city with gorgeous views then continued to Tirana where we went out in the old soviet district! We cruised through Montenegro sadly only stopping in Kotor and then one photo stop before we crossed the boarder into Croatia and our final stop of Dubrovnik.

The trip was good but it was very, very, very hot and a lot of driving but served its purpose to get me to Croatia and I was able to see two more countries! The contrast of the rich and poor is so great in Albania with some people driving flash cars and others using horse and cart still. At times I felt like I was in a third world country. Where Montenegro the classes seem to be closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment