Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Italy ~ Part 1

I don't even know how to begin to describe my experience in Italy.

First of all Italy was never on my must see list when I moved to England last year, but after numerous people telling me Italy was one of their favorite places I thought well why not.  So I decided to do a Busabout tour from Rome - Pompeii - Sorrento - Isle of Capri - Positano - Amalfi - Ravello - Rome. This was the best decision I have made about a holiday!

This was without a doubt the best holiday I have been on since being in the UK.

Pisa airport
I arrived in Pisa and made a mad dash, suitcase in hand, to the Leaning Tower, which should have been straight forward, had I not tried to take a shortcut.  In the end I saw the leaning tower in all its glory and it does really lean a lot.  I also have to mention that it was about 35 degrees in Pisa so this was a sweaty mad dash as well, but so worth it to check this icon off the list.


I hopped on the train to Rome which was thankfully air conditioned!

Nuns taking the train
I arrived at the campsite in Rome and quickly ate and went to bed.  Sadly despite being in Rome for 2 evenings I did not see any of the sights of Rome.  I'm not worried as I know I will be going back to Italy!

We departed for Pompeii bright and early.


When driving into Naples Mt. Vesuvius is a looming sight over the city of Naples.  It was very easy to see why there was so much devastation when Mt Vesuvius erupted.

The city of Pompeii was so well developed considering what little tools the Romans had, they even had elevated walkways (which doubled as speed bumps for the horse drawn carts) over the streets which allowed the Romans to walk through the streets of Pompeii avoiding the water and sewage that would be in the streets.

In Pompeii there were also 28 brothels! Imagine! You could tell if there was a brothel because there was a penis in the wall of the building pointing towards the brothel. Naughty Romans. 

Plaster cast of a resident of Pompeii
The grand square in Pompeii with Mt. Vesuvius in the background.
I enjoyed my first Napoli pizza and then it was back on the bus to Sorrento, along the winding, narrow, hanging by a thread roads along the coast.

Kite surfing outside Naples
The beautiful city of Sorrento is absolutely gorgeous its location perched on the cliffs, the cobbled streets and narrow walkways and alleyways are absolutely gorgeous, everything you would expect from a quaint Italian town.
The cutest Italian man
Amazing lemon flavored candies.
We had a fabulous Italian meal, saw 3 wedding parties getting their photos taken around town, which couldn't have been a better setting for a wedding, then off to bed for an early start to the Isle of Capri in the morning.
Sorrento


No comments:

Post a Comment